Sunday, December 21, 2008

Core Strength


I wanted to write a short article on what I observed this past week with my athletes. I had some new baseball players join my baseball group this past week. One thing I noticed was how much core strength the athletes who have been training with me for a while had. There was a very noticeable difference in the new kids and the one's who have been training. The new players have been training, but not with us. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm just saying we focus on the core. When developing an athlete, you have to develop a strong and powerful base. Upper body strength and power is important as well. To tie the base with the upper body, you MUST have a strong core. This is a neglected part of training a large part of the time. Crunches won't get it done. If you want to train the core in a functional way, try renegade rows. Make sure the athletes keep there feet back and there butt down and back flat. Train hard and smart and God Bless!


Scott Hines Sr. EdM, C.S.C.S. RKC

High School Strength and Speed, LLC



No comments: